Welcome to our new Square Foot Gardeners
Today was a crash course in getting started.
I know you will have more questions and you can check here
or e-mail me and I'll answer quickly
Our goal today was to get you started.
Any size will get you growing
a pot works
a salad box is wonderful
a 4X4 is a great beginning
you can add another later...only one now!
1. What will I use to make a place to put my Mel's mix (garden mix)
2. Where is the best place for my garden consider exposure, warmth,
shade, can I get water to my garden etc.
3. Build my garden...Is it a pot? skip ahead
What materials? Brick, wood, stone? lots of things work
4. Mix up mels mix 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 (5 kinds of compost)
mix it up on a tarp
5. Fill up your box, higher than you think it does settle. Water really
well and put on your slats for marking your squares!
6. PLANT something
Things to remember as a beginner
It is warmer than you think in the garden.
You will catch problems sooner if you walk
in your garden once a day...I didn't say work in your
garden, just go look at it.
These plants like heat more than others for longer
Tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are faster)
corn (use the fast growing)
beans (bush grow faster)
beets (you can get cultivars that do well here)
squash winter (sorry pumpkins are in that list
These plants grow year around with protection in my yard
Enjoy the process