Monday, September 27, 2010

roasted potato recipe

I don't think I can ever match Amy's red tomato that was served to us at our last meeting but here is the recipe for the roasted potato salad I brought.
It's good.


Roasted Potato & Green bean salad
From the book Grocery Gardening

4 med Yukon gold potatoes cleaned and cubed (I used some of each kind of potato I grew)
1/2 cup olive oil plus some for coating baking sheets
1/4 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed (I used yellow wax beans)
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp fresh Thyme leaves, minced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place the potatoes on a large foil (oiled) lined baking sheet, use two if needed to keep all potatoes flat on sheet. Drizzle (this is not the 1/2 cup of oil) with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (I use sea salt and not a lot) Bake 45 min. or until potatoes are brown and well caramelized.

Blanch the beans by immersing them in a large saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove beans from the saucepan and dunk them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and dry the beans.

In a large bowl, combine the shallots, mustard, vinegar and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine the ingredients. While whisking add the 1/2 cup of olive oil in a stream. This should become creamy as you whisk it. Continue to blend oil thoroughly into the dressing. Add the roasted potatoes and beans, stir and serve.

Note: All fresh ingredients did come out of my garden. I am so loving these shallots!

3 comments:

Hildred said...

Everything looks so lovely and fresh, Fonnell - I wish that my veggie gardening days weren't behind me!!!

Jean Ann Van Krevelen said...

Hello there! Just came across your post and wanted to say thanks for sharing the potato/green bean recipe from my book...it is one of my favorites!

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

Oh we love your book! It was a delight to stumble onto at just the time our gardens were producing.

I've been telling everyone about your book.

Thanks for writing